Page 81

18 May 2001

Nat drove to the airport with the innkeeper(/proprietor) and I left for the hospital at 09:00 a.m., where I had an appointment. For some days (now), I have been to control because of an infection on one leg(/of my legs). (It turns out that, edit) It's a staph infection and we've been waiting for the right moment to cut (in) it. No anaesthetics(/drugging). I don't (really, edit) know if it's because they didn't have any or that it doesn't work(/can't be used) on something that inflamed, but d... it I felt(/could feel) the knife(/scalpel).
Medical treatment(/help) is free of charge and medicine likewise.
I received 80 pills I have to eat(/swallow) during the next 10 days and a colossal(/gigantic) pile(/heap) of bandages, rinsing fluids, etc.(/and so on). And I had to sign(/put my signature on) my journal because I broke off(/stopped) the treatment. He didn't think it was a good idea(/much of) being alone on the sea for the next 10 days, but he did however give me instructions how I on a daily basis had to pull 5 centimetre bandage out of the wound, cut it off and rinse around it.
The nurse volunteered to go with me to inspect my wound which I declined(/turned down). I could imagine Nat's face when we arrive at Papeete, me and my private nurse.

I promised to have the doctor in Papeete phone (there) when I arrive. I'm not really enjoying this. It is almost as if he is anxious(/curious) to see if I would ever make it(/arrive there).

I checked out just as easily as I did checking in and went back to the boat. There is a rough(/tremendous) sea at the anchorage which almost made me feel sick.. Maybe(/Perhaps)
I have been on land for too long? It's probably(/most likely) because of all the medicine.

I changed the bandage when I got(/arrived) back on the boat. It was soaked(/wet through) and couldn't hold back(/stop) the blood from running down my leg. It looked awful.

I had to climb the mast to mount the radar reflector and the brail(tracing line) for the foresail that fell(/came) off when I nearly lost the mast. I ought to have changed one of the upper shrouds. It looks (rather, edit) poor at the bottom(/below), but I don't have the energy (to do it) with this damn leg of mine. It's f...... sore(/painful).

I hope that I'll be all right. I'll lead(/take) two halyards down on one side to support the mast. If it(/that) doesn't work, I have to climb the mast. I can only be hoping for flat(/level) water........

I have just made the(/my) Waypoints for the trip, all from the book "Routes Of The World" and have decided to wait until tomorrow morning. I'm completely exhausted(/worn out) after that walk and climbing the mast. I promised the doctor to keep the(/my) leg at rest and not be walking on it, and for the first time here I had to walk all the way back to the boat (4.5 km). There wasn't any traffic in this(/my) direction around noon. (Though,) They always stop to offer a ride. It's simply the custom(/usual thing to do) (around) here.

I haven't got a map over the group of islands, just a general map that covers most of the southern Pacific. Moreover(/Besides that) it doesn't cover(/include) the Tuamotus. So I have decided to sail(/go) round instead of running the risk of (suddenly, edit) ending (up) on one of them(/the islands). In that(/this) case it'll also(/furthermore) be easier for me to relax (read: sleep). And I have to arrive at Papeete in daylight, since I don't have a map of that place.

19 May 2001 (Leaving for Papeete, Tahiti)

I was sleeping at the anchorage because of my leg and the fever. I felt quite poor(/unwell) and wasn't feeling at all like sailing. I was almost unconscious from tiredness(/fatigue).

I set the alarm to (sound at) 5 a.m. and felt that I was (feeling) better, so I picked up the anchor and left the place(/anchorage).

I had to dismount my "big" engine and tried sailing(/going) with the small 2.5 HP. (That's) The most troublesome(/difficult) on board Trojka is that I need(/have) to dismount that(/the) engine to be able to install(/mount) the Windpilot. It can be quite annoying manoeuvring(/handling) it when there's a rough sea.
It actually turned out pretty well(/good) using the small engine. It took some time to gain speed but in fact it manages to sail(/keep) Trojka at 4˝ knots. But the propeller(/screw) isn't far enough down in the water. So after some time I decided to dismount the engine. As usual there was a rough sea and(/so) it couldn't reach, then installed my wind steering, but the wind changed from poor to none and after a couple of hours of drifting (around) I installed the big engine and went by that for the next 21 hours.

I spent 48 litres of gas so now I only just have enough for the entering at Papeete.

Incredibly, after all the antibiotics I take, I still have a fever. And the wound didn't look too good (either). I was told to pull 5 centimetre bandage out of the wound and cut it off on a daily basis. But everything was so festering that it "ran" out. So I took(/pulled) it all out and started cleaning the wound internally with some cleaning fluid. I scraped and rinsed(/cleaned) the wound externally with iodine and ???, which I received from the doctor. Then dipping half a metre (of) bandage in the same fluid and "stuffing" it on my leg, closing it well with sterile bandages. I'm hoping for it to be better tomorrow.

To Page 82

From Esbjerg, Denmark to Tahiti aboard a Junker 22